Each year, the National Association of Realtors® hosts its Leadership Academy, an eleven-month, six-stage training and development program designed to foster and develop future NAR leaders. Training sessions are structured around NAR national meetings.
- Vision: Gain new insight into NAR’s strategies and goals.
- Collaboration: Increase your effectiveness when working with peers and staff.
- Influence: Improve your communication skills and negotiating techniques.
- Commitment: Discover how you can contribute to the success of the organization.
How will you benefit?
- Learn the organizational vision and strategies at the national level, enabling you to lead with purpose and inspire others.
- Have the opportunity to ask questions, meet key influencers, and learn how the organization strives to provide advantages to members in a changing marketplace.
- Discover your unique leadership style.
- Become involved with colleagues whose values, beliefs, communication styles, and worldviews may be significantly different from your own.
- Learn to identify the specific values and behaviors that will contribute to your success as a leader.
- Build teamwork experience, refine your presentation skills, and be heard by NAR leadership and key staff.
In order to complete the program, attendance is mandatory at all sessions. Participants who have more than one unexcused absence will not be able to graduate and will be encouraged to reapply. To apply for the next session, you must contact your local board by February 1, 2017 and NAR must receive applications by March 31, 2017.
The 2018 schedule is as follows:
The time commitment expected of Leadership Academy participants includes monthly online interaction and attendance at the following in-person events:
- January 24-25: Washington, D.C. (arrival early evening on Jan. 23)
- May 14: Washington, D.C. (Realtors® Legislative Meetings and Trade Expo, May 14-19)
- August 6-7: Chicago, IL (arrival early evening on Aug. 5)
- October 31: Boston, MA (Realtors® Conference and Expo, October 31-November 5)
NAR Leadership Academy participants are expected to pay a $1,000 tuition fee. An invoice for this fee will be sent upon acceptance to the program. Payment is due upon receipt. NAR will accept tuition payments for 30 days from the date of the invoice.
NAR covers all course materials, hotel expenses, and U.S. domestic economy class flights for Sessions 2 and 4. Academy participants are responsible for their own travel expenses to attend Session 3, the Realtors® Conference & Expo, and Session 6, the Midyear Legislative Meetings & Trade Expo.
Who Should Apply?
Realtor® members who have leadership experience at the local and/or state level, but have not yet been actively involved at the national level, should apply to the Leadership Academy. The Academy is focused on developing participants’ institutional, industry, and association knowledge.
Realtor® members with demonstrated leadership abilities, and who are passionate about the industry and the issues, are encouraged to apply. Applicants often possess formal training from a local or state Realtor® association, a JD, MBA, community or military leadership program(s); in lieu of formal training, be prepared to describe an incident or activity that had the most impact on your development as a leader. Consideration also will be given to applicants who demonstrate an ability to contribute to diversity based on age, gender, ethnicity, geography, specialty, etc.
You may be overqualified if you:
- Serve(d) as chairman on two or more NAR committees
- Serve(d) as past or present NAR RVP
- Currently are a member of the executive committee
- Are a past or current member of the NAR Leadership Team or Extended Leadership Team
- Are a past or current NAR committee liaison
Application and Selection Process
Leadership Academy participants are selected through a committee process. The applications are judged on qualifications, and personal information, including your name, is not shared with the committee. Responses to the industry challenges and leadership aspirations are given careful consideration as they reflect personal point of view and vision.
NJ Realtors® Endorsement
If you would like to seek endorsement from NJ Realtors® for the 2018 Leadership Academy, you must first contact your local board/association by February 1, 2017.
Following this step, a committee for NJ Realtors® reviews the resumes of potential participants from New Jersey and selects one member from the state to endorse for the program. The endorsement does not guarantee acceptance into the Leadership Academy, however, NAR takes it under serious consideration. If NAR selects the NJ Realtors®-endorsed candidate, the state association will cover the cost of tuition and some other expenses not covered by NAR to attend the meetings. NJ Realtors® will make its participant endorsement to NAR by March 31, 2017.